Thursday, March 20, 2014

No.32

The Standard Deviation is a measure of how spread out numbers are.Its symbol is σ (the greek letter sigma). The formula is easy: it is the square root of the Variance. So now you ask, "What is the Variance?". The Variance is defined as the average of the squared differences from the mean. 
Example:
The heights (at the shoulders) are: 600mm, 470mm, 170mm, 430mm and 300mm. Find out the Mean, the Variance, and the Standard Deviation. Your first step is to find the Mean:
Mean =  
600 + 470 + 170 + 430 + 300
  =  
1970
  = 394
5
5





2 comments:

  1. I like your example! It helped me better visualize and understand the topic of variance. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was helpful because I am taking AP stats next year, and I hear this is similar to the stuff we learn. I know it's Tidious though.

    ReplyDelete